Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Rene Char read by Thomas Merton

 




I get too vehement but I like a certain volumofwacky sound. That is why these days I am reading quite a lot of Rene Char, whom I had not read before. Today, Labor Day, when get this letter finished, Ill take off into the woods (I live in the woods anyway) with a book of Rene Char selections and maybe some I4th-cent. German mystic stuffChar has the wacky oblique eloquence all right. I have two books of selectionssame publisherten years or so apart: first one has picture of him looking like a champion bicycle racer, the other a picture that ought to have number under it. The people that write about him try to do so in hesitant imita- tion of his style, and when they happen to be a bit square the result is very funny. Mustdrivehimoutofhishead. IwouldtranslatesomebutIunderstandthatthere are herdofpeople doing this now and the rights situation is complicated??2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barbara Guest

  Santa Fe Trail I go separately The sweet knees of oxen have pressed a path for me ghosts with ingots have burned their bare hands it is th...