Sunday, February 13, 2022

Nicanor Parra


Resultado de imagen para nicanor para joven

Something Like That (excerpt)


PARRA LAUGHS like he’s condemned to hell
but when haven’t poets laughed?
at least he declares that he’s laughing

they pass the years pass
the years
at least they seem to be passing
hypothesis non fingo 
everything goes on as if they were passing

now he starts to cry
forgetting that he’s an antipoet

0

STOP RACKING YOUR BRAINS
nobody reads poetry nowadays
it doesn’t matter if it’s good or bad

0

FOUR DEFECTS that my Ophelia won’t forgive me for:
old
lowlife
communist
and National Literature Prize

<<My family may be able to forgive you 
for the first three
but never for the last>>

0
MY CORPSE and I
understand each other marvelously
my corpse asks me: do you believe in God?
and I respond with a hearty NO
my corpse asks: do you believe in the government?
and I respond with the hammer and sickle
my corpse asks: do you believe in the police?
and I respond with a punch in the face
then he gets up out of his coffin
and we go arm in arm to the altar

0

THE TRUE PROBLEM of philosophy
is who does the dishes

nothing otherworldly

God
    the truth
        the passage of time
absolutely
but first, who does the dishes

whoever wants to do them, go ahead
see ya later, alligator
        and we're right back to being enemies

0

HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT
compose a sonnet
    that begins with the following iambic pentameter line:
    I would prefer to die ahead of you
and that ends with the following:
    I would prefer that you be first to die

0

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barbara Guest

  Santa Fe Trail I go separately The sweet knees of oxen have pressed a path for me ghosts with ingots have burned their bare hands it is th...