Sunday, December 12, 2021

Paul Eluard

 

Paul Éluard: the French freedom poet - www.MyFrenchLife.org



I Said It To You

I said it to you for the clouds
I said it to you for the tree of the sea
For every wave for the birds in the leaves
For the pebbles of sound
For familiar hands
For the eye that becomes a face or a landscape
And the sleep that turns it the color of the sky
For the whole drunk night
For the gridwork of roads
For the open window for a naked forehead
I said it to you for your thoughts for your words
Every touch every trust will survive.


Translated from French by Paul Weinfield, © 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barbara Guest

  Santa Fe Trail I go separately The sweet knees of oxen have pressed a path for me ghosts with ingots have burned their bare hands it is th...