Sunday, December 12, 2021

Paul Eluard


paul eluard by dora maar

                            photograph by Dora Maar, ca. 1935

Absence

I speak to you through the cities
I speak to you through the plains
My mouth is pressed to your ear
Both sides of the wall are facing
My voice, which knows you.
I speak to you of eternity.

O cities memories of cities
Cities draped in our desires
Cities behind and ahead of their time
Powerful cities intimate cities
Stripped of their masons
Their thinkers their ghosts

Landscapes ruled by emerald
Live alive survive
The wheat of heaven upon our earth
Nourishes my voice I cry and dream
I laugh and dream between the flames
Between the clusters of sunshine

And over my body your body stretches
The web of its unclouded mirror.


Translated from French by Paul Weinfield

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barbara Guest

  Santa Fe Trail I go separately The sweet knees of oxen have pressed a path for me ghosts with ingots have burned their bare hands it is th...