I dreamed of a clipper ship
Gold on blue THE CHASEY ALICE
Until he’d seen which Captain You said
He’d seen nothing, I woke bold
Chased you to get caught in the hold
Back to sleep 2 nightmares
Solid ones down not to be told
Woke not wanting to be in life
Wasn’t, outside warmed
To my blood clean cold quickened
On the way to town for food and
Back for you, though I was still
A little sulky & grim
So you fucked me back in

 

2.

Pink & white, chiffon & chenille, & cherubs
They frame oval mirror cracked across
No reflection of me it’s rented newly
My books on & under a vanity
Bamboo’s here too, Southamptonese, chair
A library’s dark desk, austere
I rearrange change them which change me
I’ll often forget to see
Pink & white to be lost after 90 days
Town’s as foreign-looking & mine
No town fits—not my image of one, but sense
That a town might make sense.
Clean cold-weather town, historical interest
Winter emptied, slickly plain downtown

 

3.

Hour less close to feeling bad & restless
Spent bath food & drink while you’ve been sleeping
Now reading I hear you walking past my door shut
& back to bed, no words none needed, how can
I think of what’s not done when there’s an easy doing
Always now? Between us. As we’re doing each
If we reach there are words too, & walks & books to-
Gether, tether we pull tighter, after
It turned surprising into the prize for staying
At it, see there are some sometimes, prizes, that aren’t
Lost when found out, & it isn’t even like winning
Which is what gets to be being over fast, it’s like
Being, & spreading, & air we’re breathing

 

4.

How long you can do nothing depends on what
You’re doing; breathing from the bottom examining
Shocking pink knee socks recalling legs
Numb blue slacked from coldly walking into
Midst of the day; glad going out’s still not next
Pink wheat nap rustles tipped tired shoes
Swallow... air hum ear ocean
This light chair’s held together by a safety pin
& bamboo shoots, some work. I’ll just put on
A dunce caprice if I close my eyes ride
Air waves “Wonder what the dead people are doing
Tonight” me too
Now doused with hands splashing up nothing
Dunk in blow out float in sit down in it