HAPPY (EXCERPT)
I stare at him; I don't know what the fuck he's talking about, the spinal tap or the MRI. Lowering my eyes, I kick my legs out spastically. "But what do you mean?" My throat is so dry. "What's a spinal tap?"
He explains the procedure, and I imagine — can feel — the enormous needle pushing through the paper-thin skin over my spine. He talks and jabs the air with his finger. "We need to start ruling things out to figure out what's going on with you. It could be multiple sclerosis," Dr. Floberg says. "That's one of the first things we need to look into. Your symptoms could be the result of any number of very serious medical conditions. We need to find out what's causing these issues you're having. It could be a tumor or a lesion on your spinal cord or brain. A brain hemorrhage or a vascular malformation. Cancer, blood clot, stroke, or bleed."
I can't tell if I'm shaking or nodding with understanding.
"There are a number of things we need to look into. And we need to figure this out right away. You've waited far too long to get looked at. But you are here now, that's the most important thing."
"Yeah... okay. So... so, what do I do?" I'm a bobblehead doll of myself.
"We'll figure it out," he smiles. "First things first, we'll get you an MRI."
Dr. Floberg speaks over his shoulder as he writes, then holds a phone to his ear.
His jaw moves but I can't hear anymore.
No comments:
Post a Comment