Sunday, December 26, 2021

Kenneth Irby

sam spencer, ken irby, larry goodell mid 60s sandias albuquerque big cleaned up 

Sam Spencer, Ken Irby and Larry Goodell on Las Huertas Canyon Road, New Mexico, ca 1964


TWO EXERCISES
for Bob Creeley

“Saturday Night”

Everything matters
in suddenly finding what it is
to be alive–that completeness.

It is not only the ecst asy of flesh
opened
or the touch
of earth–

but at each moment
what soars
at us.

As on t his bare mesa
I turn to escape
the terrible intensity of a party

& run smack
against the mountains,

& the ingredients
of the moment
loom up as the only things
I know.

*

“Sunday Afternoon”

Across this sunlight
almost gone from the afternoon

the same people as my body
walked all the hundreds of years ago
they lived (were)*. Into this earth
they came,

and still are alone
against it. How can I say

anything except myself myself
alone? & yet that

the ageless turn
of this sunlight. The footsteps

impossible to forget, the people
that might have been here

God, the love, the love
missing from everything I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barbara Guest

  Santa Fe Trail I go separately The sweet knees of oxen have pressed a path for me ghosts with ingots have burned their bare hands it is th...