Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Robert Duncan

 Happy Birthday Robert Duncan! Could this really be RD, Bakersfield High Class of ’36? Have only ever seen pictures of him from later in life. Never with glasses. But the class prediction makes me want to believe

Bakersfield High School, 1936


Robert Duncan

At the Poetry Conference: Berkeley
After the New York style

          1

Beginning with sonnets for Ted Berrigan
Turning on poetry and I’m off
Along lines Ginsberg is reading to places
It takes a line in here I have not heard

Beautiful yellow cheeks and jowls
Marking an uneven stanza off with jewels
Little girls reading all the way thru 88
Highway into some part of Oregon
Goddess of music and poetry by-pass
Where Allen Ginsberg says ‘This’ 
A line for you in your own collection
It is eight forty-five and two more
For closing we need something lovely
That will lead on to closing doors we see.

          2

Same evening. Can anybody.
Turning on poetry I have not heard
Ham it up so and still get down
From there he takes O’Hara
Who never really went there
where he did not come. From. They said.
He did little girls reading all
This one in a Black Mountain
Berrigan imitation North Carolina
Lovely needed poem for O’Hara
and Ashbery again going towards the Pound
Cantos with ashes and berries for the
Contempt they feel and gratitude and
for the puns’ sake
Dogs barking along another shore.
You never gave me my road.
What could I do for you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barbara Guest

  Santa Fe Trail I go separately The sweet knees of oxen have pressed a path for me ghosts with ingots have burned their bare hands it is th...