Thursday, December 30, 2021

Muriel Rukeyser

 

muriel rukeyser, poet, new york city, 7-30-75 by richard avedon
                                    Richard Avedon, 1975

26-1-1939


When Barcelona fell, the darkened glass 
turned in the world and immense ruinous gaze, 
mirror of prophecy in a series of mirrors. 
I meet it in all the faces that I see. 

Decisions of history the radios reverse; 
Storm over continents, black rays around the chief, 
Finished in lightning, the little chaos raves. 
I meet it in all the faces that I see. 

Inverted year with one prophetic day, 
high wind, forgetful cities, and the war, 
the terrible time when everyone writes “hope.” 
I meet it in all the faces that I see. 

When Barcelona fell, the cry on the roads 
assembled horizons, and the circle of eyes 
looked with a lifetime look upon that image, 
defeat among us, and war, and prophecy, 
I meet it in all the faces that I see.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Barbara Guest

  Santa Fe Trail I go separately The sweet knees of oxen have pressed a path for me ghosts with ingots have burned their bare hands it is th...