Sunday, November 21, 2021

John Ashbery

 








Eileen Myles on John Ashbery

Desert Moments


We watched his regular camera
until it became nervous.
There were other horns inside for us,
things the pasta brought, never to be paced over.

My gosh! The President of the United States!
Years and years went by like that.
It was impossible to keep track of them.
I’m all about truth, and meaning. In the end
they said they were delighted with what they found.

Circuits are busy. Of course, we’re not going to sit here
and wait. I have met you in the small shops,
a large cookie presence. It was “robust.”
Save me the czardas

at Puke University.
I’m glad he goes in there.
That was the president, you clucks.
Why is it taking so long?

We might come closer (the eldritch mother’s refrain
over twenty-three years ago).
Oh, that’s what that is.
Then suddenly it’s forty years later,
and I was like, “Holy shit!
I’m just happy to be alive!”

It’s almost like you’ve done something
totally preppy. Your hands are a little dirty,
though.
Yrs and oblige,
Holofernes J. Crinkleaf.

“Dear Smitten …” 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Barbara Guest

  Santa Fe Trail I go separately The sweet knees of oxen have pressed a path for me ghosts with ingots have burned their bare hands it is th...